SMASH: Prep serves African American males who have demonstrated both an aptitude and interest in math and science. Its curriculum is designed for sixth through eighth graders and will increase the participants' college and STEM aspirations.
Prep Info Sessions
Monday nights, April 8th, 15th and 22nd
6:30 - 7:30 pm
United Roots of Oakland ,
2781 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland (Entrance on the side)
2013 Application Timeline
- March 15th: Application Open
- June 15th:Applications Due
- July 20th: Scholar & Parent Interview
- August 2nd: Applicants notified of final decisions
- August 9th: Deadline to accept SMASH: Prep invitation
- August 17th: Mandatory Orientation for admitted scholars & parent/guardian
- August 24th: SMASH: Prep Begins (1st Saturday Session)
- September 7th: 2nd Saturday Session
SMASH: Prep is...
- A Year-round holistic STEM enrichment program for middle school aged African American males.
- Seeking to increase candidates for SMASH Academy and other similar STEM-focused programs.
- Improving mathematics and science knowledge while developing the scholars' critical thinking skills.
- Building positive scholar identity and providing exposure to role models and experiences that reinforce academic excellence.
- Free of cost
SMASH: Prep, in collaboration with the Level Playing Field Institute (LPFI), will develop a STEM educational pipeline for African-American males to combat the systemic educational inequities and societal challenges faced by these students in their schools and communities and equip them with the skills and experiences necessary to improve their educational success and life opportunities. This educational pipeline project specifically focuses on preparing African-American males to be successful in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, which are projected to be the fastest growing and highest-paying occupations of the future, thus providing students and their families/communities critical opportunities for economic advancement. Moreover, by virtue of its additional focus on social justice and self-sufficiency, SMASH: Prep aims to support students in becoming not only scientists, but also active global citizens.
Saturday Session Location
2781 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland CA 94612
SMASH: Prep Session Dates
- March 30th, 2013 - Potluck
- April 13th, 2013
- April 27th, 2013
- May 4th, 2013
- May 11th, 2013 - Field Trip
- May 25th, 2013
- June 8th, 2013
- June 15th, 2013
- June 29th, 2013 - 8th Grade Celebration