Related Reports and Resources: STEM Education
Current articles, reports, and related research on access, opportunity, and equity for underrepresented students of color in STEM in K-12/Higher Education
Featured Articles on Improving STEM Education
Reports on STEM and K-12/Higher Education
Federal reports and funding:
- Engage to Excel: Producing One Million Additional College Graduates with STEM Degrees. Report to the President, February 2012
- Educate to Innovate Program, Obama’s current campaign to improve the participation and performance of America’s students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM)
- Prepare and Inspire: 2010 Report to the President on K-12 education in STEM for America’s future
- The STEM Workplace Challenge- the role of the US Dept of Labor in STEM solutions for competitiveness. 2007.
Academic and policy research on STEM and diversity:
- African-American Males in STEM: Report on the recruitment and retention of African-American male students in STEM. Quality Education for Minorities Network. 2010.
- Fixing US STEM education is possible, but will take money: 2010 opinion piece on funding and STEM, with description of House of Representatives testimony panel on STEM education
- Making a case for diversity in STEM fields. Inside Higher Ed, 2008.
- Diversifying the STEM pipeline: The Model Replication Institutions Program
- Assessing Programs to Improve Minority Participation in STEM Fields: What We Know and What We Need to Know
- Linking After-School Programs and STEM Learning: A View from Another Window
Resources for K-12/Higher Education and STEM
K-12 unit and lesson plans for STEM educators:
- I-STEM lesson plans for all STEM subject areas and grade levels.
- NSF STEM Activities and Resources for K-12 Teachers and Students
- Intel K-12 STEM unit plans
STEM and diversity in higher education
- Cal Engineering Dean supports diversity plan
- Sample 2010 state-level strategic plan to increase diversity in STEM higher education
- Sample University strategic plan to attract students to STEM careers
Best practices, Related STEM Education projects
- 100K in 10: Working to prepare 100,000 new STEM teachers over the next decade
- Planting the Seeds for Diverse U.S. STEM pipeline: A compendium of best practices in K-12 STEM education
- STEM Service Learning initiative in the California State University system
- The National Center for STEM Elementary Education
- Sample University outreach in K-12 STEM education
- Sample state-level strategic plan for STEM Education
Related organizations and guides for working on STEM and education